Closing date 22 December 2022
The Office of the State Advocate is seeking to recruit competent and suitably qualified Trainee Lawyers to form part of its staff complement.
Qualifications and Experience Required
Applicants must be in possession of a Doctor of Laws (LLD) or a Master of Advocacy (MQF Level 7) or a recognised comparable professional qualification and must be in possession of a warrant to practice the profession of a Lawyer in Malta. Applicants must have a good command of verbal and written English and Maltese.
No applications shall be considered unless these prerequisites are satisfied.
Duties of the Trainee Lawyer
1. Perform legal work in accordance with the standards of the profession, including assisting the Lawyers at the Agency and/or the State Advocate before the Courts/Tribunals as necessary;
2. Work in a spirit of co-operation with other lawyers and officers of the Agency and in particular demonstrate the ability to work in a team together with other legal staff both in the team to which the Lawyer may be assigned and in the Office in general;
3. Conduct legal research, analysis and reports on issues relating to the Agency’s portfolio as may be required by the office and/or by a legal officer being senior in rank within the same team;
4. Assist other Lawyers in the preparation for complex cases as may be directed by a legal officer being of senior in rank;
5. Draft laws and regulations, judicial acts, contracts, and other instruments and to peruse documents drafted by others, and the review of such;
6. Perform the necessary preparatory work in order to produce evidence in court cases and to plead in such court cases as may be assigned to him/her either in accordance with a general division of duties or on the basis of specific assignments;
7. Act in conjunction with superiors in assessing legal risk;
8. Act in representation of competent authorities including but not limited to the State Advocate, before any court or tribunal;
9. Draft, compile and file judicial acts before courts and tribunals, especially before the Civil Court (Asset Recovery Section);
10. Perform international work and to represent Government in the committee structures of the EU, the Council of Europe, and other international organizations; and
11. Execute any other legal or supporting tasks as instructed by the State Advocate or his designated representative.
Interested candidates must submit their Curriculum Vitae and covering letter by not later than Thursday 22nd December 2022 via email on the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Failure to submit the requested documentation within the stipulated timeframe will render the application non-compliant.